So, what do you do?

In the past three years of restless run to be at one place, I've been asked by many 'So, what do you do?' This has been a tricky question to answer and I answer variously based on the context, circumstances, all being equally true. Some people are inquisitive and are not happy with the first answer and I have to switch to another till they are satisfied or one of us gives up! :) Few of the answers I've given are:
--'I'm getting into agriculture', 
--'I'm in between jobs', 
--'I'm in a middle of a land mess that I'm trying to come out of', 
--'These days, I just watch movies' 
--'I'm looking at a solitary place to settle down', 
--'nothing much', 
--'reading', 
--blah, blah, and
... some more blah!


At one instance, I replied 'I do nothing' and was shot back a shocking question 'you do nothing???!!!' to which I had to say 'I read/ study philosophy' and the embarrassing situation ended. I wonder if anyone can ever get used to 'doing nothing' since Krishna himself said that none can remain without doing karma.

I've switched my online status -- which is also my offline status, of course -- from 'hibernation', through 'on a sabbatical', to 'a recovering vyAvahAric', all equally true again. However, none so completely explains the fact than 'I wait'. The entire truth is that I wait a little, a little more and then some more... always! A curious intruder or a concerned friend may well ask then, 'So, what do you wait for?' thereby moving the focus from '*what* I do' to '*why don't* I do'! :)

6 comments:

SANTOSH SHINDE said...

I can imagine a little how irritating it might be answer that question.

I have one more friend who left from US few months back for spiritual reasons and had taken a break from job. He too had people asking similar questions. I was one of them, but quickly realized his intensions when tuned in our spiritual frequencies hence do not ask him the same (unless I thought he has joined back).

But look at the other way round. All this work we do, all this name or fame or success we achieve etc. One day we (all those working people) will realize we were fools. We don't carry any materialist stuff. We don't need 'I', 'Me', 'Mine' but just the opposite and that is what GOD means to me.

Not good at preaching. ;o)

Advaitavedanti said...

Yes, but until that day dawns, we do what we need to do. :)

Knowingly or unknowingly, all search for happiness is search for That and eventually everyone is bound to reach It.

appalam vadaam said...

I guess I'm stirring up old wounds abt the village property - sorry abt that. But, I guess, the interest never never really dies.

http://devinder-sharma.blogspot.com

May be our country/earth as a whole needs people who are in half minds to make up their mind...may be I too am one of them.

Advaitavedanti said...

@Vasundhara: Sorry, I don't think I get your response or the link you added in the context of this blog! Could you explain?

appalam vadaam said...

Your post talks of "Getting into agriculture". Well, I "guessed" that motivation towards village land or agriculture could be related just getting back to basic living, bare necessities or organic food...

The link that is there is about the politics of agriculture - most of it on how big corporations can and do control what we eat. This is not adhyatma for sure. For the "returning vyavaharic" (I understand it as a return to the self and not the mundane world), it might seem irrelevant! :)

That aside, I felt that since you had wanted to buy village property, may be, it was due to some interest in farming. You may already be aware of the farmer suicides and GM crops. The link talks mostly abt that. Found it interesting and thought of sharing with someone who wanted to try their hand at agriculture.

Advaitavedanti said...

Thanks for the clarifications.

I think I left scope for confusion. This post was more about my wanting to settle at one place to pursue whatever it is that I pursue! Villages provide a better calm to that effect and also the least expense for a person who doesn't earn but only spends. Agriculture was to be a survival means by growing what I need, instead of growing the needs! :)

About GM crops and farmer suicides, I'm not sure if I've the right conclusion, but I think that since farmers as well as GM crop cos. are looking for business, albeit the former for survival and the latter for greed, perhaps, both are right in their own ways. A side-effect of what GM crop cos. do will also feed the populace at large... or maybe its just a hope. A possible solution would be to get the farmers and GM crop cos to work together.