Metablog

I've always wanted to blog this one; in fact I wanted it to be my first blog entry. However, I missed it over passing time and aging memory. Metablog is (expected to be) a blog about blogs in the same way that metadata is data about data. If we just leave that as another of my stupid definitions, can we move on?

Well, blogs were meant to be, and still do mean, weblogs. How long they'll just remain restricted so is a question not many have answers to. Google (and others) seem to have big plans with various blogs being quite a contributing element. Imagine the (research?) ideas of various people onto your server. Also think of it as parallel journalism in most cases. Or unbiased first-hand opinion or mostly information from known sources. It could even mean democracy or free-speech online. Top all this with cross-references among blogs. Does anyone remember the concept of six-degrees? Google, with their amazing search engine can definitely get the best of blog content to seekers. Not only so, they'll have huge revenues coming from context-based advertising.

Okay, I've been rambling all over the place without a well-defined thread of thought. Try listening to http://www.broom.org/epic/ols-master.html.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, have u seen my.yahoo.com and its RSS Aggregator. You can aggregate content from any blogsite, given that it converts your blog into RSS. This is cool technology. point to a site that spits out RSS and you have content spewed on your site. i don't visit rediff.com, instead have a RSS feed into my my.yahoo.com.

Actually even your 360 page can aggregate RSS and point to feeds from other folks.
checkout radwin.org. Google has no RSS support as yet!! Metablog is really an old concept.. I' was just wishing blogger would have RSS content, so taht I could point onto it in my blog.

eismcsquare said...

And you think Google will not do it? It may not be exactly the same, but then, its Google and you have to trust them to come up with something like that in a cool way.

BTW, about the previous comment - main reason why Google may not support RSS feed is this - the context-sensitive adwords they display on thier pages are dynamic and not static - i.e. if you visit the same page 5 yrs down the line, those adwords will be advertising things of *that time* and not what they put today. RSS nullifies the whole thing.

Advaitavedanti said...

Cool it, folks. My metablog has nothing to do with your metablog concept. I meant to use meta-blog as a pun instead! As for your RSS feeds, I rarely drag stuff from elsewhere for my blog. Also, Google advt. changes don't have to wait for 5 odd years, it shows different ads for different access points at the same time! (This may cause a security alert for some though!)

Moreover, I like to keep things as simple as they're here... so live on with Google for one, yahoo for another :)