Miracles

Yesterday, someone talked of Swami Sivananda's miracles. What are miracles? They're trump cards to attract people, to put them on the path. On the other hand, they're side effects that benefit the devotees! The greatest miracle, as Sathya Sai seems to suggest, is love.

I've seen that the eight maha-siddhis are given too much importance by some. They don't realize that these powers are traps in spiritual progress. I'm reading The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho and a lot of miracles are written about! I might comment more on the book once I'm done with it a couple of days down, but overall its average, still interesting and of course, the nice fable-styled writing of Paulo can't be ignored.

Back to miracles, over the past many years, I used to be impressed by Maharshi Mahesh Yogi's flying yoga or Kundalini powers, not to see & read about, but I wanted to *get* those. Not of much value, but it seemed interesting... a kiddish academic interest. Of course, the former's FY also has a lot of peaceful effects on the universe, but I was purely interested in the magical experience. As of now, I don't know if I want to spend the valuable vyavhaaric time in such meaningless play; I always feared the traps. What if I get addicted to those powers and such? Not that I would make bad use of it, but what if I just get indulged so much that I turn a yoga-bhrashta? (Someone even had told me that in my past life I was a yoga-bhrashta. All the more reason then, to stay away :) Someone asked Nisargadatta Maharaj once about the miracles that happen around him. He said that the questioner or people around see them and he denied that he is *doing* those. "Miracles happen".

3 comments:

jar said...

Hello Praveen,

This is Basavaraj, lives in banglore,i am avid reader of Nisargdatta Maharaj,s I AM THAT book,
Happy to know that you also have interests in Maharajs work
Nice to visit you blog

Anonymous said...

"I've seen that the eight maha-siddhis are given too much importance by some."
- By whom?

Vasant G. Hebbar said...

The only absolute is the speed of light according to classical physics. Rest all are relative according to Einstein, including space and time. This is scientific truth. But Yogis talk of kAlAtItatA or transcending light speed. This is a mahAsiddhi. If you can travel faster than light you can witness events past and future because you stand on the banks of flowing time. And, you can materialize things by laying your hands on past or future.

Miracle is something which defies laws of nature. But who knows them? Science has identified a few. If events defy these identified few laws they are miracles - for science. Yogi's laws of nature are perhaps higher. Exceeding the speed of light is one. If so, yogi does not defy the law of nature, according to him.

A correct understanding of laws of nature is science. It leads you to greater amount of lower knowledge. So there is no more meaning to miracles than to magic.