History repeats itself

Its interesting to know how history repeats itself and still a person has no control whatsoever over it! Many a event in life are deja vus. A person with a foot-in-the-mouth disease will have it till he dies. He'll keep on blabbering all over town being hit badly, stabbed mercilessly again and again... and yet again stabbed, until he's safe in death's arms.

His prArabdha follows him to his grave... nay... leads him so. Such learning from faults is not for mortals; only one who's conquered death can do so. Why else would one be born endlessly and forget lives of misery? I heard a ghazal yesterday that went:

zindagi se baDi sazA hi nahi
aur kyA jurm hai woh patA bhi nahi

So very true! I don't take the depressing meaning of it. But not one soul here knows what he's doing. People just take ownership for everything that they come across, give lessons to others and not learn anything! We all do that... live for an era, at most, and then die. As Ramakrishna said once, no one's interested in being a student, every one wants to tell others what to do. I, for one, stopped that last year, but thats not good enough. I stopped probing into people's lives, even of those who I care. Its got to be other way round too... I need to stop talking altogether.

As once a wise man said: no good deed ever goes unpunished! Every man for himself is the way of life. Neither a lender nor a borrower be applies not only to money and stuff, it must apply to advice too; it must apply to any sort of sharing; it must apply to everything that there could be. Let people live and die not caring for others... thats how it was, is, and thats how it will be; thats how its meant to be. We live in a society that laugh at other's handicap, that throw stones at madmen and are full of evil. An act of helping done as an act of help, is a favor done, is done for a selfish reason and is done to mean so. Its mean. People who *do* help others don't exist since they are never in the limelight, they never will be and will never claim so!

I concluded something more in the very recent past. All my life I've come across people with holier-than-thou attitude. They may well be so; I don't deny that fact. But its too much to let another's heart bleed for that reason, even more cruel to be the reason for it. That links me to another set of eternal questions: who decides that a war is fair? Who decides that its perfectly alright to kill a huge army of people just because they love their motherland? Who decides the motherland boundaries? Why?

Eat, or be eaten?

Next life, perhaps! Perhaps, never!

ghaTiyantram punah punah

3 comments:

Maja said...

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
-- Leo Tolstoy

Pradeep Puranik said...

There are no teachers, my friend. Everyone is but a student here. The questions to ask oneself is "Am I a good student? Am I asking the right questions?"

It all depends on ones perception. The way one looks at it. The way one chooses to take it. If you meet someone who frets that life is a curse, thats their choice. They are living in a hell. Maybe you have not met people who enjoy life as the greatest boon.

Yes, there are a few of us, who take life as a great opportunity to learn, to internalize, to master the lovely lessons. We are just students. Life is the only teacher. You are welcome to read my blog, specially the Preface and the 18 poems - those are some of the notes I took while learning from life.

And no, you don't need to stop talking altogether. You just need to stop judging. Talk, but don't judge. State your opinion, but don't force your advice. Learn to see between the poles. Good/bad, boon/curse, sin/virtue... these are the poles, but they are not absolutes. Most things in life are in between, and they are neutral.

Love,
PRADEEP K.

Advaitavedanti said...

Thanks for the comments, both.

Maja: Perfection :)

Pradeep: True.

I take life as the greatest boon; why do I need to meet anyone else who says that? :) "Learn what" is the Q. One may be happy learning nothing. Another may be unhappy learning everything. Its quite subjective, this boon thing. I consider it a boon for the search, seemingly eternal, perhaps miniscule.

I did read some, will continue once I get to *feel* your style of poems; its quite abstract for me and I mean it as a compliment :) I liked your preface though.

Sorry, that was contextual, from some thoughts; I meant to stop talking some things people don't understand. And if thats the only target, its still difficult for a talkative person since one passionately drifts into it. So a solution that would work is: silence!

I never (hardly, perhaps) judge! What you see "in between", I see as *substratum* that is the basis for the opposites.