Another chapter of brahmacharya

Lets take a very routine example to understand brahmacharya: A beautiful, attractive, person of the opposite gender walks by me. Now, one of the following happens:

--I follow the person in thought, in a fantasyland and/ or deed.
--My eyes follow the person.
--I take a peek.
--I do not even take a peek.
--I remain unmoved, unaware of the person walking by!

That last unmoved, flawless state is brahmacharya. And this same example graduates from that *person* that walked by to the *world* that moves (mAyA)! The person who is absorbed in the Self is a true brahmachari, to whom the world has died, since He is all that is alive.

2 comments:

Vijay Kumar said...

Praveen... your explanation of brahmacharya vrata is perfect yet, as per my experience I will go a step further! Totally aware of the person walking by, I remain unmoved... undeterred!

Advaitavedanti said...

Hmm, true... thats another way to look at it. As a realized can appear as a madman who is unaware of the world, so also can he appear as a mahAjnAni. Both are essentially realized but former is unaware of the world, the latter is aware. So too with brahmacharya.

Thanks for the satsanga.

Hari Om.