Slumdog Beggar!

I know while everyone is hyping up Slumdog Millionaire (SM) due to 8 Oscars bagged by the film, I'm suggesting a better suited name for the film! The only reason that it won the Best Film Oscar seems to be because somebody has become a millionaire in this time of recession, more so a slum kid! :)

I think that the film wasn't worth the best film Oscar and if it was, then I pity the state of Hollywood considering how bad the movies had to be that competed with SM. The story was more of a mix from age old Salaam Bombay and a couple of other movies put together around a KBC show. I think it would have been much better if so many things had not been mixed up, especially a love story where it didn't belong. Also the lead's elder brother portrays an inconsistent character. Moreover, with a comment from the show's host that there's only one person that came this far called for some flashback about that person.

I haven't much to say about the background score and direction and sound engineering categories, but the song Jai Ho!, of all things winning an Oscar is really pathetic. Gulzar himself was shocked surely that his words for the song won an Oscar and went on to say that it is only because of AR Rahman's music score that Jai Ho! even got noticed. There have been tons of better songs that go unnoticed in the Oscar hype created around a movie.

On a related note, I think Lagaan and Taare Zameen Par were better movies compared to SM in the category of best film, but sadly they were not competing against each other and now I wonder who competed with SM... I got to see those movies.
Post a Comment