The thirteen

Thirteen has been a hinting (not haunting) number all my life so far! I spent around 25 years in our flat no. 13 in Bombay. When I shifted to Bangalore over 5 years back, in six months time, I checked into a house that I still stay in. Yes, the number's 13 too! Before shifting out of the no. 13 in Bombay, we bought a flat.. well not a 13, but it reads 103. None of this was intentional and has come as a surprise now. I joined this job of mine on the 13th!

Best of all, my taaraka mantra is also 13 syllables. Thats how I link it now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taaraka Mantra?

Sai.Prasad said...

In the Sikh religion, the number 13 is considered a special number since 13 is tera in Punjabi which also means "yours" (as in, "I am yours, O Lord").
When Guru Nanak Dev Ji had a job of counting stocks of items, he counted from 1 to 13 (in Punjabi) as one does normally, but after reaching the count of 13, he would just repeat "tera", since all items were in fact God's, as God created them. When somebody heard this while passing, Guru Nanak Dev Ji was confronted about this, and his records were checked. It was a miracle since they were all perfect, yet he never seemed to count the items properly.

Sai.Prasad said...

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, "What is six times nine" is posed as the question to the answer to life, the universe and everything (42). This is true in base 13, although this was merely coincidence according to author Douglas Adams.

Both comments from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_(number)#As_lucky.2C_unlucky.2C_or_significant_number

Advaitavedanti said...

Sai, thanks for both the comments. I didn't know either and while having read the book a little and seen the movie, base-13 is still news to me. What do you make out of that coincidence there? :)

Smita, a taaraka mantra is any mantra that you literally breath. It could be anything.