tena tyaktena bhunjitA

om IshA vAsyam idam sarvam yatkincha jagatyAm jagat
tena tyaktena bhunjitA mA gr^dha kasyasvidhanam

I almost broke my head on the Ishopanishad while at Rishikesh. I'd to read over the entire upanishad over four times to understand a little of what was going on in there! At first, I thought its easy reading so I went over the first two mantras. On the third, earlier understanding contradicted itself and I thought I was crazy. Then I read Shankara's commentary over and over, but knowing each mantra well was a lot different from what all put together meant. Where would we all seekers be without Shankara walking us across? Another student was thoroughly confused and asked me to explain what was meant by "greater darkness" that comes later while explaining the fate of a person who just partakes of knowledge without the performance of the karmic rituals. I spent the night before the Upanishad exam almost entirely on the Isha and realized that I understood it really well, but tossed the exam aside. (Of course my marks agreed with that!) I was more than happy to see that this student liked what I understood and shared with him. I guess that is the real test of any understanding: facing questions, expressions, etc, of a student who himself, is willing to learn.

So what is it that makes a small Upanishad like Isha so difficult? Oh yes, the fashion in which the contents hold themselves just like any other Upanishad. But here, I think it comes off as not being connected well among the sequence of mantras either. At first, it goes on to say that Ishwara covers the entire universe and that we must not covet other's wealth. Later, it mentions fates of those who do karma alone and those who just try to gain knowledge. The results are mentioned to be best when the two are combined. It also has prayers to fire and Sun. In the end, one can't assimilate all of this on a platter. Each mantra seems a separate dish meant for different people at different times, but they're not. Once the meaning as a whole strikes you, its bliss without any doubt.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you read Srila Prabhupada's works...Please do, if you can....

My 'search' stopped the moment I stumbled upon his 'Bhagvad Gita As It Is'....His commentaries on Isopanishad is also superb....I would highly recommend it to you...


M

Advaitavedanti said...

Just what I feared, Meera; based on your earlier comment, I quite guessed your viewpoint from an ISKCON perspective! :)

I've read Bhagavadgita as it is long back, not the Isa commentary by Srila. Sorry, I left ISKCON followings and Srila's readings. You may really not like why, so I won't say it, but suffice it so: I'm an advaitin.

gurorarpaNamastu

Unknown said...

Hmm..I am very interested 'why'the fear...Am all ears....

Just so you know...I sincerely believe that all of us have the same spiritual destiny... the 'goal' is one...and the paths are many..

I do read other's as well...
And, I am not a ISKCONite...
Staying away from India is tough..and I go to the local temple here..that's how I came across his works....that's that...

you can write to me atmy gmail...would love to hear more...

Advaitavedanti said...

Well its mostly because of his/ their totally biased writings and fanatic behavior, at that. "Bhagavadgita as it is" will come out as a misnomer if you transliterate and see whether the translation is fair! Enough bashing from me. :)

Very well said, I totally agree. All paths merge in the One. sarva deva namaskAram keshavaM prati gacchati. That is ekameva advitiya brahmaN.

Of course, apologies if you thought I said that you're an ISKCONite; I only indicated a perspective from their viewpoint. That comes from reading their books, sometimes.

I do understand how it would be outside India. You have to make-do with Indianness around. Good luck and godspeed.

Thanks for your patience!

PS: Could you please drop me a mail, so that I get your id for me to write? Couldn't find the same on your profile.