For the love of Floyd

I've been meaning to write this entry since the news of Syd's death. Later, a sweet friend, Monaa (nickname), brought back memories of Floyd when she mentioned Inside Out. Says their website about Syd Barrett:

The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of his death. Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire.

There are a lot many songs that have been dedicated to Syd by Floyd, including some just not known as they remain hidden in songs or whispered between stanzas. I just have to say one of those are these words that drive me crazy: "I'll see you on the dark side of the moon". There's something about insane psychedelics that interest me as a core subject. It just makes me wonder what Syd must've been like from their songs. There are very few bands that have such united feeling about a member, more so after they've had their own individual performances, not to mention fans. An impression thats left by a person is *felt* in their songs. That feeling, aka experience, can be guessed from what I stumbled upon few minutes back: there are/were two groups that call themselves The Pink Floyd Experience, one in Canada and the other in New Zealand, apart from over a dozen tribute bands!

I'd also like to mention that Floyd's inspired me so much that playing at least one of their guitar sequences made it as my lifelong dream (hah, hardly likely!) There have been depression times when Floyd's Coming Back to Life has been a material influence in pulling me out and taking me to heights of ecstasy. Sriram and I had avoided the next-door event at Bangalore, Roger Waters-In the flesh, back in 2002, thinking that there's no Pink Floyd without Gilmour. It sounded good in principle, of course, but we do regret it. Not only that, Roger's up live again in Bombay, almost 5 yrs thence, in a week's time; I can't go without my good ol' buddy and so I'll just use this as a reason and say, missing ya: Wish you were here!

Finally, I love Floyd, and there are no second thoughts about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post!!! The photos are brilliant monochrome our style!!! Reciprocate your feeling WYWH!

PF & their psychedelic music require certain prequalification’s to listen & admire. It puts off in the first note regular listeners creating an elite crowd of devotes who are pulled in deeper into the realms of classical acts and works by the greatest rock band of our time!! PF's magnum opus The Dark Side of the Moon explores the nature of the human experience with themes such as birth, time, greed, conflict, travel, mental illness, and death! Sat Chit Ananda!

Advaitavedanti said...

Good to see ya comment here, Bhatta :) I dug out photos off the web that would share our mood!

Undoubtedly... I second what you said.

See ya on the dark side of the moon ;)